Italy is the perfect country to make cultural excursions! Below are named some of the many highlights which can be reached easily from Camping Luna del Monte, as well as in Umbria as in Tuscany:
– AREZZO: Chiesa di San Francesco (with frescoes of the world famous painter Piero della Francesca), Piazza Grande (there where a part of the impressive film “La vita è bella was filmed), the church of Santa Maria della Pieve.
– PERUGIA: Fontana Maggiore, Piazza IV Novembre, Corso Vannucci (main shopping street), Arco Etrusco, Rocca Paolina, Palazzo dei Priori, San Lorenzo Cathedral, Cappella di San Severo, San Michele Arcangelo, ecc. A vibrant city with a world famous university.
– GUBBIO: Piazza Grande from where you have a breathtaking view over the hills, Palazzo dei
Consoli, Palazzo del Capitolo, the Cathedral and the Church of Santa Maria dei Servi.
– CITTA DI CASTELLO: Church of San Francesco, Cathedral, early Medieval clock tower, Palazzo Vitelli, Diocesan Museum, Pinacoteca Comunale, Burrimuseum Palazzo Albizzini, Museo Burri agli Ex Assiccatoi Museum (the former tobacco drying ovens), three religious walks through the city , ecc.
– URBINO: Palazzo Ducale and the Galleria Nazionale delle Marche (including works of Raffaele who was born in Urbino), the house of birth of painter Raffaele, Piazza della Republica. Experience the vibrant atmosphere in the town: half of its 16,000 inhabitants are students.
– SANSEPOLCRO: Duomo, Museo Civico.
– UMBERTIDE: Rocca Medievale, Castello di Civitella Ranieri, Teatro dei Riuniti.
– ASSISI: St. Francis Basilica, Santa Chiara Church, Minerva Temple, Palace Capitano del
Popolo, Rocca Maggiore, Parco Regionale di Monta Subasio.
– ORVIETO: This medieval town is located on top of a tuff rock. The duomo, la Rocca and Il
Pozzo di San Patrizio, Piazza del Popolo.
– TERNI: Church of San Salvatore, Roman Cathedral, Marmore waterfalls.
– MONTEFALCO: Museo Civico di San Francesco.
– FLORENCE: Duomo (if the cue for a climb into the dome is too long, a good alternative might
be a climb into the tower right next to it!), Ponte Vecchio, Palazzo Nuovo, Palazzo Pitti,
– SIENA: Piazza del Campo, the Duomo and the never completed section, the Palio 2x per year
and many churches and museums.
– SAN MARINO
There are some lovely, small villages at a stone throw distance from the campsite too and definitely worth visiting, like Lippiano, Monterchi, Citerna and Anghiari.